Review Xiaomi Redmi 1S Review

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Consumer Electronics' started by Stuge, Sep 29, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Stuge

Stuge RAID Rookie

After great success in selling all the Mi3's via flipkart ,Xiaomi is back again selling Redmi 1S like hotcakes. A phone which is sold at budget price but gives tons of features, something which no others phone gives in that price range. Let me give you quick insight into this true Bang-for-the-buck phone.​

What's in the Box

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bit of Comparison between MI3 and Redmi 1s

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Redmi 1 S specification :

• Quad Core Qualcomm MSM 8228 1.6Ghz
    • 4.7 inch IPS retina display
    • 8Mp camera secondary
    • 1.6Mp front camera
    • MIUI based on 4.3 jelly bean (company promised to update the OS to Kitkat )
    • Dual SIM
    • 1gb Ram
    • Battery packed 2000mAh
    • FM radio
    • Expandable memory upto 64gb
    • Dual Sim
    • Internal 8gb
    • Support WCDMA 3g and GSM 2G

Redmi 1s ,little cousin of Mi3 and bang for the buck phone in its class . Just hold both the phones i.e redmi 1s and Mi3 and within no time you will realize redmi is heavier in compariosn to Mi3 (Xiaomi Mi3 weighs 145 grams and Redmi 1s wegihs about 158 grams ). Redmi fits very well in hand, thanks to round edges .

Built Quality :

• As said earlier Redmi feels chunkier in comparison to its big brother .
    • Front uses Gorrila Glass 2 for its protection .
    • Backside uses glossy plastic which holds 8 mp camera and one led flash /light .overall phone gives plastic feel .

• Volume rockers ,and power button is placed on the right side of the phone .
    • Speaker is placed on the backside of the phone (At full volume it feels speaker would blow out, so I suggest to keep volume one notch lower ).
    Software :

Redmi 1s loaded with MIUI 5 based on 4.3 jelly bean .Hopefully ,Xiaomi upgade the same with Kitkat as jelly bean is not resource efficent as kitkat .For some reason ,I felt its slightly sluggish in comparion to the given specification ,but its not that bad if you keep your multitasking under control .

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Lite Mode :
    One of the talked about features of this phone .It is good for those who want features, but don't want complicity of an android specially elder people or non geeky parents :D

Screen shots of Lite Mode

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

DISPLAY:

It comes with 4.7 inch IPS HD (720p) retina display (~312 ppi pixel density) .Display is vibrant ,and nice .Infact ,Its a steal for the price phone is being sold .

Touch button aren't back-lite at all .Once used to it its not a problem ,but still it can be a problem in dark .

Camera and Video

Redmi 1s Support 1.6mp front and 8Mp secondary (supports 1080p video).

Secondary :pretty good in terms of clearity and colours

Two modes are given (Simple and Advanced ).One can access iso till 1600 ,exposure compension ,but there is no option for controlling shutter speed via advanced control.

Secondary Camera: Picture quality is very good in its class .One will be surprised to get such a good camera for such a price .Images are crisp ,sharp and clear .

Front Camera:
    Its ok for sharing selfies via WhatsApp and other social media. Also shoots 720 video.

Note :I had trouble shooting panorama with the built in camera software .It doesn't work the way it should .It took me 4 tries to get a decent panorama .I believe Software update should fix this issue .

Images shot with phone

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HDR mode

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Close up pictures :

[​IMG]

Sensors :

Array of sensors are provided with the phone,which is needed to be used by different day to day software - Accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass(No barometer is provided with it ).

Antutu Benchmark :
    Redmi 1S get a score of 20638

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Battery Life :

Battery life under normal usage on can expect 11-13 hours of battery life and it takes about 2 1/2 hr to charge the same. Note: Use the charger (rated Capacity of 2000 mA) provided with the box don't use any other usb charger else it will take 3-4 hours to charge the battery.

Availability : Very poor. Get yourself best connection as possible and wait in line to buy from Flipkart.

Pros :
    • Bang for the buck
    • Screen
    • Lite mode for those ,who are new to andriod .
    • Removable Battery

Cons (not in order)
    • Heavy
    • Plasticky
    • Heats up during normal usage .
    • Availability

Verdict : Its the best budget phone in the market at the moment in terms of specifications. Sure, it has few problems but for the price one can't ask for more.

Latest Given Reputation Points:
    BANHAMMER: 100 Points (Good work as always.) Sep 29, 2014
    JD666: 100 Points (Great job!) Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  2. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

I need to get hand on these phones to tinker with.

3. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

I am curious to try MIUI

4. MOZ

MOZ RAID Leader Staff Member

Should have the RedMi in my hands in a week or two, planning on installing CyanogenMod as son as I get it, thanks also to the news about personal data being 'sent home'

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
    JD666 likes this.
  5. JD666

You no like MIUi

6. MOZ

Not really, to be completely honest, if I wanted to use MIUI, I'd buy an iPhone. I don't like iPhone's for the particular mundane boring UI.

7. BANHAMMER

CM looks vastly different from standard nexus phone UIs, which I thought was stock UI.

8. MOZ

Initially CM, was like a stock(AOSP)+, however now the ROM scene is divided into AOSP based ROMs, CM based ROMs and then the Xpose users.

I prefer the CM UI.

9. Stuge

Stuge RAID Rookie

You can download and use themes from the theme store .

I'm not a fan of iphone either ,but I don't have problem with either of them in terms of themes .

10. BANHAMMER

I have changed the UI once for my phone I hated it.

11. MOZ

IDK, I never really got to liking the MIUI for whatever reasons, anyhow, phone is for my sister, so it's up to her what she likes. Nah, not really, I get to make the decision. :p

What did you install, you are on a Nexus, AOSP is pretty good.

12. BANHAMMER

I don't remember exactly but it was something which made my phone look like original stock cm

13. MOZ

One day with the RedMi 1S, as expected, I've installed CM 11 based on 4.4.4.

This thing is worth every penny, actually more, didn't feel like a 6k phone at all, it seemed to be worth 12k at the very least. Screen is great, could be a tad bit brighter, but the 720p screen is rocking. Doesn't really feel sluggish, camera is excellent for the price, no heating issues either on CM 11.

14. JD666

The actual price of this device as per their international online store is 10,000+ INR. dunno how they have managed to price it so low and that too for so many pieces

15. Stuge

Stuge RAID Rookie

Well,Device is good as long as it doesn't heat up.Once it heats up a bit it tends to become over slow and sluggish.

16. JD666

A friend is getting the Note from India next week. Looking forward to play with it

17. SumitB

SumitB RAID Staff Staff Member

Which is the best rom to use on the Redmi Note 4G? I somehow don't know if I will like the MIUI interface. So want to download the ROM before the device lands up.

18. MOZ