Yamaha launches the R25

Discussion in 'T&AA - Travel and Anything Automotive' started by JD666, May 27, 2014.

Share This Page

1. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

Not in India just yet, but in the nearest comparable market that we have, Indonesia. It would be a matter of time that this bike should be brought over to expand the R15 family by giving it a big brother to go up against the competition of the likes of the Duke 390, the Ninja 300 and the CBR250.

Though it's been priced at approximately 2.7 Lakhs (Direct conversion) in Indonesia, we can expect it to be slightly cheaper, owning to localization of production. In all probability, they will manufacture and export from India, which should make pricing cheaper in India.

Yamaha has been at the re-stickering and coloring game for too long now. I thought something that was the main stay of the likes of Hero Honda, became regular hat for Yamaha. When bored, every few months, just put some graphics, add a new color and re-launch the same damn bike.

This should give them some serious fire power. Though the Suzuki Inazuma does compete on the price front, it doesn't really come close in performance. Serious contenders would be the Ninja 300 and the Duke 390.

Some pics and then technical specs -

R25 01.jpg R25 02.jpg R25 03.jpg R25 04.jpg R25 05.jpg R25 06.jpg R25 07.jpg R25 08.jpg

The bike surely looks the part and is a beefier, meatier R series sports bike. From initial reviews, it feels and goes much above it's capacity and size.

It comes with an inline twin engine, which does bestow it with more power than the competition, but is also inherently expensive to manufacture. The CBR 250 still wins the cost effective measurement here.

What I like about the engine is the Double Overhead Cams, 4 valves per cylinder setup, that allows the engine to be a screamer. The engine produces a max power of 35.5 BHP at 12,000 Rpm and 2.25 KgM of torque at 10,000 rpm. It does seem to be a rev happy engine, though low-end torque and driveability might suffer.

With a kerb weight of 166 kgs, it's marginally lighter than the Ninja 300 at 172 kgs. Though the Ninja has that crucial 2-3 BHP extra, I'm sure after market mods for the R25 will ensure it'll match a stock Ninja 300.

The pricing would be the main difference here with the Ninja at the 3.50 Lakh mark. If they can price it below the Ninja by about 80-90,000 Rs, they'd have a winner on their hands.

Looking forward to riding this bike soon! ;)

2. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

Ok, so not as powerful as ninja, but definitely looks more beastly.

3. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

Yep that it does. I'm expecting this one to be one helluva handler. If the R15 is anything to go by, this should be even better.

4. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

so out of touch with automotive, I think my brother has r15, I was about to give it a trial but didn't. I am not old man preferring to sit back on the seat and enjoy others drive.

5. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

The red looks the best ( in the pics),

I think they just price it higher in India .. the front n read disc breaks look great.